Monday, July 8, 2013

What a Week!


Hey fam,

So much happened in the past week, I am going to tell you a little about
every single day! Ready?

Monday: Feliz cumpleaƱos!

Monday night we celebrated the birthday of Nana and her son Lian. Nana
turned 30 and Lian turned 3. I love them with all my heart. It was a fun
night full of singing, cake, and........TEA! Dont worry, we will definitely
be teaching the word of wisdom next week.

Tuesday: The Lord is my light!

Tuesday we decided to take the bus to a new place in our area called San
Matteo. We were so excited to try to find some less actives and new
investigators. But, our plans got slightly delayed because after stepping
off the bus we realized we were in a lightning storm.

With rain louder and harder than I have EVER experienced we ran for shelter
under a little covering in the park. We met a new friend named Kenneth and
he told us stay under the covering unless we wanted to get struck by
lighting and die.

Obviously, we stayed.

And it's a good thing we did, because bright orange lighting struck in three
different directions all around us. I'm talking like 8 feet away from us! It
was insane! I'm sure Kenneth was holding back his laughter as 2 American
girls hugged eachother tightly screaming for their lives.

Wednesday: Two gringas in Costa Rica= LOTS of laughs

We have a mission goal to get 30 lessons a week (which we met last week,
hollaaaa!) and so we are always running to our next appointment.

A little behind schedule, we decided to call a taxi. He comes and picks us
up in a pick up truck and takes us safely to our destination.

I get out first, and then my companion gets out behind me and shuts the
door to the truck. With a little force, right? Because it's a truck.

He yells our the window something about "gentle"

Hermana Anderson hears him and thinks, "oh I shut it too softly, I need to shut it
harder". So she re opens the door and SLAMS it shut.

Turns out he was saying BE GENTLE!

Hahahahaha oooops. Sorry bud. He drove off away angry but will be happy
later when he sees the gift we left him in the back seat. A Plan of
Salvation pamphlet. Oh yeahh :)

Thursday: God bless America

I woke up on Thursday the 4th of July ready to celebrate with my red, white
and blue outfit, some fireworks, and some ice cream. Because this is one of
my favorite holidays of the year! But then I realized something...

I am not in America. And guess what? They don't celebrate the 4th of July
here. Isn't that sad?!

Dont worry, this American girl sang loud and proud as she walked through
the streets of Costa Rica. Then that night we celebrated with some
pineapple, coconut and papaya. It was a happy day after all :)

Friday: Rejected with a side of cookies!

On friday every single one of our 6 appointments fell through. And so did
all our back up plans. People here are always sick, and always tired, and
always showering, and always working. I don't like working around other
peoples schedule!

On the plus side, we made some chocolate chip cookies with one of our
investigators and she loved them. Chocolate fixes everything.

Saturday: Feliz Navidad!

I literally had my own mini christmas here because the beautiful Jen Baron
delivered an entire suitcase full of happy goodies from my amazing family.
And also, a hug from my mom! No one will ever understand how much it meant
to me! 
Seriously it was wonderful and I just cried for 10 minutes
before I could even look through every thing. It's all perfect. It was such
a blessing to be able to get that from Jen. Thank you guys sooo much.
From the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU!

Sunday: Rice for dayz

We went to church and it was great. But sometimes I just get so frustrated
because I just want to have a normal conversation with the members and
express my love and gratitude for them and all that they do...but I can't.
And it's hard. I just wish we could all speak one happy language. Haha is
that too much to ask? It will come though.

We were so blessed to be given 3 dinners. They all just happened to be the
exact same thing. Large plates of RICE. I thought I was going to explode.

As we were teaching a family later Sunday night we heard screaming and
crying from the children next door. Their parents were fighting and arguing
and it was almost impossible to ignore.

We started out our lesson with a hymn, and as I sang the words I became
overwhelmed with emotion and began to cry.

I am a child of God
And He has sent me here
Has given me an earthy home
With parents kind, and dear

How grateful I am for the beautiful and special knowledge that I am a
daughter of God. That this life has meaning and purpose.

And my heart broke for the neighbors next door who didn't have that
knowledge and who weren't as fortunate as me to have dear parents.

I often find myself wondering what I did to deserve such an amazing family.

But there is hope. Whatever our family circumstances, we are all children
of kind and dear Heavenly parents.

This week has really strengthened my testimony.

Elder Dallin H. Oaks said, "Conversions are often achieved more readily by
suffering and adversity than by comfort and tranqility."

Before my mission, I had a testimony of the gospel. And I still do. But
through the hardships I have faced here in Orotina, I truly have been
"converted" to the gospel.

Elder David A. Bednar said, "Testimony brings increased personal
accountability and is a source of purpose, assurance, and joy."

As my testimony continues to grow daily, I feel more assurance with my
purpose in life and I feel more joy than I have ever experienced before.

I am so grateful for the opportunity the Lord has given me to help my
testimony grow.

I love you all and pray that you will have a wonderful week!

Love,
Hermana Starke

P.s. Special shout of to my brother Sammy who FINALLY WROTE ME :)

And also Happy birthday to Morgan Smith, I love you!!!!!!!!!!

"I am a Child of God"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riD6sNy4HsI

No comments: