Monday, July 29, 2013

Wonderful World


Hi everyone :)

I can't believe it's been yet another week! Crazy right?

For P day today, we went to the beach in Jaco! It was so much fun. Not the
prettiest beach here but it's in our area, about an hour on bus. It was
practically torture not to jump in the warm water. But we took lots of
pictures and still had a good time. You know, collected sea shells and what
not. Relaxed a bit and thought about how lucky I am to be in Costa Rica!

It was also super touristy so all the signs were in English and there were
white people everywhere. Lots of hotels and expensive souviners. ALMOST
like I was in California. Haha almost.

Everything really is just so beautiful here. Most of the ticas have lived
here their entire lives so they don't know any different and just dream
about living in the states. I wish they realized the beauty they get to see
every single day!

It makes me think of the song, "What a Wonderful World" by Louie Armstrong
 and how Dad tries to impersonate his voice. And Grandma Patsy just
LOVES it.

The words ring truth, "I think to myself, what a wonderful world!"

I also am reminded of my favorite primary song:

Whenever I hear the song of a bird
Or look at the blue, blue sky,
Whenever I feel the rain on my face
Or the wind as it rushes by,
Whenever I touch a velvet rose
Or walk by our lilac tree,
I'm glad that I live in this beautiful world
Heav'nly Father created for me.

He gave me my eyes that I might see
The color of butterfly wings.
He gave me my ears that I might hear
The magical sound of things.
He gave me my life, my mind, my heart:
I thank him rev'rently
For all his creations, of which I'm a part.
Yes, I know Heav'nly Father loves me.

Yes I KNOW Heavenly Father loves me. Because I am one lucky girl to be on
this beautiful mission in the beautiful country of Costa Rica having a
beautiful time! Doesn't get much better :)

Well, maybe it does. Because avacados are out of season here right now.
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo :(

Well as for the work here, we are still trying to help strengthen our
branch. We are reaching out and trying to reactivate less actives and
teach the doctrine. Which is really what will build testimonies and build
life lasting conversions.

But it's not easy. In fact, it's really hard. Most people tell us they never
want to come back to church. And I'm like, "POR QUE!?"

Because to me I just don't understand, the gospel is perfect. We, are not.
Everyone needs the church. Everyone needs a little Jesus.

And I just thought everyone knew that. I just thought everyone knew God is
our loving Heavenly Father. I thought everyone knew Sunday means it's time
to go to church. I thought everyone knows that when you look out the window
you might possibly see popcorn growing on trees.

So I guess many people actually don't know these things. That's why they need
me and you to tell them!

So this Sunday we had little ward activity and watched the movie The
Testaments. It is about when Christ comes to the Americas. Afterwards we
all knelt down together to ask in prayer if these things were true.

I got a soft but sweet feeling of joy in my heart. I knew it was true.
And I am grateful for another peaceful assurance I recieved of the
truthfulness of the gospel. Because it is true. And anyone who prays to ask
can find out. Whether they are an investigator, a member of the church, or
a missionary. We all need those feelings renewed, and we are promised that
they will come! All we have to do is ask.

Afterwards we played this game called BOMBA! It took me about 5 minutes to
figure it out, but someone just yells BOMBA and then busts a rap. It took
me a while to realize that their Spanish was rhyming. It made me so sad
because I know I could rock this game if it was in English. But it was all in
Spanish, gosh dang it.

When it got to be my turn, I panicked and turned red and said in Spanish,

I'm a missionary, and no I'm not a TICA
But hey how great is it that we are all here together in COSTA RICA!!!!

They just laughed and supported my effort and I just wished they could know
that I really have a hidden talent for rapping and rhyming. Hmm maybe someday I'll be
able to own this BOMBA thing. Haha

Oh, another EMBARRASSING moment for the week. Really, my weeks are just
full of em. But I was chosen to lead the music during church on Sunday.

And by chosen I mean, everyone started staring at me so naturally I knew I
should probably stand up and do something. Wishing I would have paid more
attention during those "lets learn how to lead music" mutual activities, I
start spelling my name with my hand and singing a made up tone to a Spanish
song I have never heard in my entire life. ALL FIVE VERSES. It was great
fun. Ohhh great fun.

But anyways...

As far as working with the branch here goes, I am not expecting rapid
results because I know the work here is going to happen little by little. I
read a scripture during personal study that really helped give me hope and
help me to understand the meaning of why I have not seen much, when I truly
have given it my all.

The Lord really just expects my best, and promises that great things are
brought to pass through small and simple things. I have faith our small but
strong efforts will bring to pass great things here in Orotina. Maybe not
right away, maybe not for quite some time. But one day.

As my training comes to an end, it is hard to believe that I have been in
CR for almost 3 months. I have learned so much, and grown so much as a
person and as a missionary. I know the things that have happened in Orotina
are preparting me for my entire mission.

I really feel that The Lord has a plan and purpose for me being here, even
though I have not been able to fully see it yet.

I miss you guys and love all your dang pictures of food and fun and
weddings!

Hermana Starke :)








Zilah 

Bus ride to the Beach

Our view from the bus ride to the beach


Jaco Beach



























No comments: