Monday, October 7, 2013

God Speaks


Hello!!!!!!!

This week starts the mark of many things here in the mission!

It's October now. You know what that means? RAIN SEASON! Yes, we have been
in rainy season for some time now, but they say October is the month with
the most rain. And you better believe it's true. I don't think it's stopped
raining for more than an hours since I last wrote you guys on Monday.

And, October 3rd was my 6 month mark! I have been a missionary for six
entire months. I didn't even realize it until I had some time to think on
the bus on the way to an investigators house. But WOW 6 months! I feel like
I should be a way better missionary by now, know a lot more Spanish, and be
desensitized to the bugs. But hey, I'm doin  my best, and I still got a year
:)

Also, October always means happiness because we have the most wonderful
opportunity to hear the words of the prophets. And luckily for me, one of
the members let me listen in English on his laptop which was super nice!
It's just awesome to hear their voices and let my brain relax and enjoy the
beautiful sound of English sometimes. Ya know what I'm sayin?

One of my favorite talks was given by David M. McConkie. He said, "that the
biggest secret to gospel teachers (or missionaries, in my case) is two
simple words: GOD SPEAKS".

We know this because he spoke to Joseph Smith. We know this because he
spoke to the prophets of old and inspired them to write scripture. And we
know this because we have a living prophet today. And now, I want to tell
you how I know it.

While visiting a recent convert, Angela, we shared a sweet message, sang 3
hymns because her kids love it, and then begged her to please give us a
reference. I was a little afraid of her response because she has already
told us various times "no" and that she will not give us references until
things improve in our branch. But I felt so strongly to just ask *again*.

Expecting her response to be the familiar, "no" I had heard much too often,
I was surprised to see her pick up her phone and call her neighbor. My
companion and I looked and each other with big smiles and I watched Angela's
face light up while she was talking to Jeni.

Angela hung up the phone and said Jeni was very excited to hear our message
and was going to come right over! We thanked Angela for finally giving us a
reference and promised that we would do everything we could for her friend.

When Jeni walked in she put her hand over her mouth and gasped. We started
to introduced ourselves but she just shook her head with wide eyes. A
little confused and frightened I asked her why she was so shocked to see
us. So she began to tell us...

3 days earlier Jeni had a dream about 2 happy young girls coming to her
house, knocking on her metal fence, and calling her by name. They had on
name tags and were from the same church that the elders go to. But Jeni was
so confused because she had never seen hermanas, only elders with their
white shirts and ties. One was "morena" (darker skinned) with long black
hair and the other was "machita" (lighter skinned) with green eyes.

She woke up in the morning with a very powerful and strong memory of her
dream. She couldn't shake it off. What did it mean? She remembered
everything so crisp and clearly. Their faces, their voices, and what they
were wearing. And she wanted so badly to know why they had come for her.
The first thing she did after getting out of bed was open the front door
because she was SURE that the two girls would show up.

3 days later, her neighbor Angela called to tell her that 2 Hermanas were
at her house wanting and waiting to share a message with her.

She rushed right over, only to find the exact two girls from her dream just
3 nights before. Hermana Ochoa was wearing the same red skirt and I was
wearing the same floral blouse.

With teary eyes and goosebumps we promised her that God really wanted her
to hear our message and that it could change her life as well as the life
of her beautiful family. Looking at her 2 sons and baby daughter she agreed
to have the lessons and we set a return appointment.

When I challenged her to baptism in the first lesson her response was an
answer I have never, ever heard before, "when?!"

I know that God spoke to Jeni through a dream. And He speaks to us, His
servants, to bless the lives of His children. And I know that if we will
all listen, we can hear God speak to us in times of need and doubt. He will
also speak to us in times of happiness and joy. For he loves us ever so
much.

I love you all so much and feel the strength of your prayers! Open up your
heart and let God speak to you.

Xoxo, Hermana Starke


http://www.lds.org/general-conference/watch/2013/10?lang=eng&vid=2724456203001&cid=5

1 comment:

darlenetruitt said...

What a beautiful story, and example of obeying God's commandments. Especially listening to the council of our leaders. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. Love Sister Truitt