Thursday, November 21, 2013

Peace and Blessings!


Dear all,

As much as I love Cost Rica (and you must believe me, I love it) I have
been a little sad this week. Why? Becuase I miss my happy American holidays!


No 4th of July...
No Pioneer Day...
No halloween...

And now, NO THANKSGIVING! But no worries, because more than any other
Thanksgiving before, my heart is filled with so much to be thankful for.

This time of the year always makes me think of one of my favorite hymns:
 *When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,*
 *When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,*
 *Count your many blessings; name them one by one,*
 *And it will surprise you what the Lord has done. …*
  *So amid the conflict, whether great or small,*
 *Do not be discouraged; God is over all.*
 *Count your many blessings; angels will attend,*
* Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end.*

So today in my letter, I would like to count my many blessings, for all the
things I am so grateful for!

Prayer. Here in Costa Rica I don't have my cell phone. Nope, I don't have
facebook either. I can't call up my mom when I need advice. But what I can
do is get on my knees and have instant commmunication with my Heavenly
Father. He has been my best friend here. He knows what it's really like. He
understands me, and listens. I am so grateful for the power of prayer. I
know it's real. And I will never let a day in my life pass without it.

Hot Showers. Have you ever taken an ice cold shower everyday for 7 months
straight? I have. But I have some happy news...things have changed...WE
HAVE HOT WATER HERE. Actually, it's more like warm. But that's just fine, I
am soooo grateful for it. Yep, just another perk of the promised land of
Ciudad Colon.

Mamas cookin. I miss it sooooo stinkin' much. I learned this lesson in
College, but here with all the crazy different foods, I have grown to
appreciate how much it means to me to have a delicious home made meal by
my amazing mother. And chocolate chip cookies for dessert ;)

The Book of Mormon. I have always believed in this book my whole life. My
mom read me pages from the giant orange Book of Mormon for kids with little
summaries and fun pictures during breakfast. My Dad dragged me out of bed
every morning to learn and read from it's pages at seminary. I read it for
the first time cover to cover when I was 18 so I could get my necklace. But
more then just believing in this book, I now know with all my heart it's
true. And also how important it is. The spirit has testified this to me
over and over again. I see it's power as I watch peoples lives change
through simply reading from it's pages. The stories fascinate me. The
prophets inspire me. I love and cherish every page. I am so grateful for
every sacrifice that was made so that I could enjoy this book.

My mission President. He is incredible. We had a multi zone conference with
him this week and changed my entire perspective and thinking as a
missionary. In fact, it changed my life. I was taught and uplifted in so
many ways and it was a very special experience for me. I know there are so
many things I need to change about myself and I am also so grateful that
through the atonement it's possible to change. It's possible to become better
and become the person my Heavenly Father expects me to be. Sometimes I feel
afraid that I am not going to live up to my potential as a missionary or
that I am going to miss out in finding all the people I am supposed to find
but I think those feelings are what help me to work harder. And what leave
me never feeling satisfied in the work.

My companion. Hermana H. Gosh dang it, I love the girl. We spend half the day
laughing and can never get to bed because we always stay up chatting. She
loves this work and I know that we were meant to be companions. I also
found out last night that she is DEATHLY afraid of bugs. I dont know how
after being here for almost a year. But she started screeeeeeaaaaaaaming
and running around the apartment when she found a giant centipede in her
bed. Oh the joys of Costa Rica!

My family. I miss you all. You don't understand how grateful I am for every
single letter and email. Your words mean the world to me. So thankful to
have the best family a girl could ever have. I don't know what I did to
deserve you guys!? But I sure am grateful.

The list goes on and on and on but for now I wish you all the happiest
Thanksgiving and black friday. Which actually DOES exist here. Viernes
negro. Ha!

XOXO,
Count your blessings,
Hermana Starke :)

No comments: