Monday, February 17, 2014

A whole lotta love!


Dear all,

I am soooooo happy because today I got my birthday package. Thanks a
million! I loved it all.

Since this week was Valentine's day I thought I would share with you guys
all the love that I experienced this week...

First of all, the Ticans LOVE to party.

Friday night was madness here in Ciudad Colon. Apparently Valentine's day is
pretty big here! Everyone was out partying in the streets, dancing,
listening to music, and playing in the park. And when we returned back to
our apartment at 9 we got to watch a firework show from our balcony. It was
the best!

Then on Sunday there was another huge party. People from all over Costa
Rica came to Ciudad Colon for the annual horse show. What's a horse show you
might ask? I wasn't really sure either but basically everyone dressed up
like cowboys. With hats, plaid shirts, boots and all! There was a bunch of
rides and blow up games with the food, music and dancing. And everyone
brought their horses! It was the strangest thing, but it looked like
everyone was having a blast. (moms Edit: She must have forgotten the world she knows back here in "Merica, for just about every summer, we went back to Wyoming and went to the county fair, which had horses, and cowboys, and food, and blow up games and rides, rodeos, music and dancing)

I LOVE ice cream.

So with all the fiestas goin on, the work has been a little rough. People
prefer their parties over the palabra de Dios...(word of God)  but we did the best we
could and after 6 of our appointments fell through we decided to celebrate
the end of our Valentine's day with a little ice cream. Somehow that always
makes everything better :)

I LOVE Hermana Irma!

Hermana Irma is a divorced member of our ward with 4 children. After she
and her husband got a divorce, 2 elders knocked on her door and she was
later baptized. She knew that her husband needed to hear the gospel so she
sent missionaries to visit him as well. He was baptized as well. So
Saturday they got remarried and they are going to be sealed in the temple!
We got to go to her wedding and they were both so happy. Irma is such an
example to me and her faith is inspiring! We couldn't stay the whole time
because we had other appointments so we left before dinner and my comp was
way bummed. But Sunday they invited us over for lunch so Heavenly Father
blessed us for being obedient and diligent! None of their 4 kids are
members but we started chatting with her oldest son, who is married and we
are going to teach them this Wednesday! Soo exciting!

I love you all so much. I love being a missionary!
Love, Hermana Starke



Hamburger and Hot Dogs

Me and My Companion

Got to See Hermana Coburn 



Me and My Companion with our mission "mom" Hermana Wilkinson

Me and My Mission President and his wife The Wilkinsons

No comments: