Tuesday, April 1, 2014

One Crazy Year!!


Hey everyone,

I have a year in the mission... What? So crazy! And along with that,
this week I had some really crazy experiences!

1. So I am sitting outside on a bench with my scriptures open teaching a
lesson. And right as a challenged my amigo Jose Rafael to be baptized, a
bird left a nice, big, messy surprise in my BOOK OF MORMON. Welcome to
missionary life in Costa Rica, folks.

2. We had to drop one of our investigators and I bore him my final
testimony. He continued to deny everything we taught him, the spiritual
witnesses he has had, and that the church was true. I could just feel
angles around us taking notes of all the apostacy he was saying. One day I
know he is going to have to give an account. Pobrecito...

3. We met Gloria. She had jenga in her hands, so we pointed and shouted,
"JENGA!" (PMG says look for any clues possible to get to know others,
check!) Startled and a little confused, we started an awkward conversation
with her in the street and told her we teach English. (Yes, everyone I
teach the gospel and English!) The next day she called us (ok, that like
NEVER happens, we always have to call them) and so we met up with her in
the chapel. The english class turned into the first lesson and she accepted
a baptism date. She prayed to ask if the book of mormon we had read in
English was true. The spirit was so strong it was almost tangible. She told
us she doesnt believe in coincidences. Well, guess what? We don't either!

4. A new lady moved into our ward and she is a total rockstar. She's visited
over 45 countries and loves life. Luckily she loves the gospel as well and
is so excited to help us in the work. With that being said, we got a new
mission leader this week, Hermano Sebaja :) and a new gospel principles
teacher! They both are so awesome and so willing to help. I know this is
going to help pick up the work here in Ciudad Colon! We are so happy.

5. I ate mangos shaped like parrots. Enough said. Haha I love my tican life.

6. During our district meeting this week, a guy named Max walked into the
church and said he needed help. He needed to talk to someone. He was
planning on taking his life but then decided to see what the mormon church
had to offer. You think 2 missionaries is powerful, try SEVEN. So he tells
us his story. Lost his job, lost his family, his wife left him for his best
friend, he hasn't eaten in days, he doesn't want to live another day in this
world. But then we start teaching. And testifying. And he walked out of the
chapel with a book of mormon, a baptismal date, and a smile. The gospel
changes lives. It gives purpose to life. And everyone, everyone needs it.

7. We passed by a house with a family inside Saturday afternoon and invited
them to church. They said yes. So when we called them Sunday morning
expecting them to not answer or put some excuse they said they were on
their way!!!!!!!! What. We did a happy dance and then ran all the way to
church. They came! Stayed the whole 3 hours. Loved it and afterwards
accepted baptismal dates. They have some serious changes to make in their
life. Stop smoking, get married, the usual. But these people actually have
a desire. Something that you cannot teach or give to people. Finally
prepared people have been placed in my plath. And it feels so great.

8. The general womans conference. There's not even words! It was incredible!
The video? I cried... And my favorite was the closing hymn. Let us all
press on in the work of the Lord! Amen.

Xoxo
Hermana Starke

P.s. Oh dad.....I FINALLY have some songs for ya :)
Pienso en ti by Reik
Es la meta y el camino by Reik
Vivir mi vida by Marc Anthony
Tu y yo ya no by Thalia
No te pido flores by Fanny Lu







Mango Shaped like a Parot



Some of the first members in Costa Rica


Coolest Tree Ever!






Making Tortillas

The biggest pumpkin ever


Sister Wilkinson-My mission "mom"


We got Carl's Jr for our district meeting!!

No comments: