Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Don't stop believen!


Hi everyoneee,

I am sooo tired because my comp and I got up super early today and went to
San Jose to buy souveniers for all yall... but guess what, everything is
ridiculously expensive here. So lets just say if you have been thoughtful
enough to write me, I was thoughtful in buying you something that says pura
vida :)

Update on Yader, our friend with LOTS of word of widsom probs. Hes gone an
entire week without drugs, smoking, alcohol, and coffee. He is progressing
so much. And really wants to get baptized. We had a family night with him
and watched the first vision. After the video, i asked him what he
thought... he told us it was muy bonito (so im thinking yess! this is
great) and also that something similar had happened to him too (and then I
was like uhhhh, hold up. what?!)

But then he shared the sweetest, saddest, spiritual experience with us.
When he was 10 years old, his dad had already died and his mom abandoned
him. He was alone and cold in the street with nothing to eat, and no where
to sleep. He didnt know what to do or where to go. He had heard people talk
about a God but wasnt sure if there really was one. But Yader was hopeless
and hungry so he knelt down, closed his eyes and started to pray. For the
first time in his entire life, hoping that someone would hear him and help
him. He told us during the prayer he felt something... someone next to him,
giving him a hug of peace and comfort. So he opened his eyes and for just a
few short seconds and saw a glimmer of light, but then it was gone. And
since that moment he believed in God and the reality of his love.

So sad news... of all those new investigators and families we found last
week, we are only teaching a handful of them. Many of them have told us no
thanks, maybe later, or we dont want to change. Its been frustrating but
hey everyone has their agency. Heavenly Father must really want me to have
a testimony of that because he reminds me of it every day here in the
mission... but its great. I know that behind every rejection is a miracle.
The truth goes hand in hand with opposition. We just have to keep walking,
keep working, and keep believing.

Anddd we talk to everyone we see, ALWAYS. We tell them who we are and the
responses are just oh so funny sometimes...

Are you the same as the jehovas witnesses?
You guys arent from here are you?
One time you guys gave me a pamphlet...
Ahh is your church the big white one?
Why cant anyone go in it?
Once I played soccer at your church.
Is your church the one with baby jesus ontop playing the trumpet?
Why do you spend so much money on golden angles and grand temples when kids
are starving in Africa?
What does Mormon mean?

Haha its so great. And luckily we have all the answers to their questions!
Sometimes it seems hopeless but Heavenly Father reminded me this week that
hope is never lost.

On Wednesday, we were walking home and decided to give out one last
pamphlet to a kid sitting outside, in hopes that he would read it. About 40
minutes later we got a call.

Hermana Starke???
Yes...
I just finished reading the entire plan of salvation pamphlet you gave me.
REALLY?!
Yeah.
And?????
ME GUSTO DEMASIADO!!!!!

What. Just so you know, that like never happens. We were so excited. What a
miracle.

Another miracle is that I got to go on divisions this week with Hermana
Bojorque from Argentina. She got baptized 2 years ago and has had the
craziest life and I admire her so much for coming on a mission. She gave up
everything to be here. We found a family that lives in a 2 story wooden
farm house overlooking ALL of Costa Rica. It was the most incredible
experience teaching this family and being surrounded by chickens, cows,
pigs, and horses. Sometimes I have to remind myself that my life is real
and I just dont know how it gets better than this.

PURA VIDA,
Sis Starke

No comments: