Monday, June 24, 2013

He knows me better


Family!

Time is flying! Well, kind of. It did this week. And for that I am so
excited to be writing home again :)

Not much has happened in the past 5 days. Or maybe it has and I am just
getting used to my crazy missionary life here.

The funny thing is, I can write and write, and I can send all the pictures I
want, but the truth is, you will never fully understand or comprehend what
it is like here! It's truly an experience like none other.

And with that being said, I am grateful for the one person who does know
what it's like. My Savior. He is literally with me every step of the way. He
knows what it's to like feel alone. He knows what it's like to feel confused and
inadequate. He knows how much I miss my family and how it breaks my heart
when our investigators don't progress. He knows it all. Because he knows me.

And through my mission I have come to know Him. I know that He lives
because I feel his hand in my life. Leading, guiding and comforting me.

*Every single day*.

The lyrics to this song have given me much comfort lately:

"In a world of voices who say they have the answer,
I escape the noises,
Close my eyes and I turn
To the one who sees all the peices put together
He knows me better"

This Sunday we had a huge conference with members of the church from all
over Costa Rica! And we got to hear from (drum roll please) a member of the
70, the mission president, and his sweet wife. It was a happy day.

I also sang in the choir. In Spanish. Acapella, with 7ish other members of
our branch. And my girl Hermana Anderson. Let's just say I don't see any of
them becoming members of the future motab. Myself included! It was fun
though. And the members here are so willing to give up their time and
talents to serve the Lord. Even if it means singing off tune for all to
hear. I love them so much.

I also enjoyed the special missionary broadcast yesterday. Woah. The Lord
sure is hastening his work and I am so grateful to be a part of it. I
wouldn't want to be doing anything else. It truly is so exciting. I know
that my mission is preparing me for a LIFE filled with missionary work. And
not only that, but in the life to come.

The words of the song in the choir really touched my heart during the
broadcast:

"I'll go where you want me to go dear Lord, I'll be who you want me to be."

That is my greatest desire as a missionary, to be who He wants me to be. I
hope that through His help, and only His help, I will be able to achieve
that.

This week I had an opportunity to go on divisions with a sister named
Hermana Portillo. She is from El Salvador and is the best missionary that I
have ever met in my life.

She is 22 and has been a member of the church for 3 years. She used to be a
nun and so she knows the bible like a mad woman! Her testimony brings a
powerful witness of the restoration to any and every person she talks to.
Her family was not supportive of her decision to serve a mission...but her
mom got baptized 3 weeks ago! And as for her Dad...she hasn't heard from him
her entire mission.

She is such an example to me. And made me realize how blessed I am to have
had the knowledge of the gopsel my entire life and to have the best parents
ever who just love me. And support me in all that I do.

The more I get used to Orotina the smaller it gets. Reminds me of good "ol
starvalley, which I miss with all my heart. Everyone knows everyone. And
the people I see on the streets and in the stores are becoming familiar
faces. It's funny to make the connections. For example, we found out this
week that two of our investigators are sisters. Small world right? Gotta love it.

On the bus this week I couldn't take my eyes off the window. It's just
GORGEOUS here. Seriously, it's beautiful. The jungle cruise ride at
Disneyland aint got nothing on the real deal here in Costa Rica. Please you
all have to come here and see it one day. The pictures just don't do it
justice. You have to see it, smell it, and feel it.

So last week it was a tarantula, this week it was a lizard. A cute baby
lizard that my dear wonderful companion THREW at me because she got scared.
Yes, that's right. She picked up her journal from the ground and put it on
her desk. Then she opened it up to find a lizard crawling up the page.
Screaming, she lifted up the journal and flicked it off, only to have it
land on me. Hiii buddy.

But don't worry, I still love her. SO much! She is the best Mama eva. And I
will forever be grateful for her and all she is teaching me. And we are
working hard. We are trying our best. And at the end of the day, it feels
so good to have worked so hard. We got 10 references this week, so were
pretty excited about that.

As for my Spanish, it's getting better! I am understanding more everyday.
But at times it is still so frustrating not being able to convey your
thoughts and say what you want to say!

For example, this guys we always see sitting outside his house got a hair
cut. He used to have this giant afro. Normally, I would say something like:

"Hey! You cut your hair! It looks good, I didn't even recognize you!"

But no. I have to say it in a different language. So it ends up sounding
like this.

"You...hair...no...different...couldnt...see."

He stares at me. Confused. Slightly worried. Slightly creeped out.

Then my companion and I just look at each other, laugh hysterically, and
think how glorious the day will be when we can tell someone we like their
hair cut without it being weird.

I love you and miss you all. Eat hamburgers for me. I miss them lots.

Hna Starke :)

P.s. Happy to say that the mail gets here successfully! Since being in
Costa Rica, I've gotten 2 letters from Megan Kypke and Elder Wilson. And
Dear elders from Cindy Nelson, Genny Gustin, and Anna Heywood. Just wanted
to let you know that I got them, and thanks a million!

No comments: