Friday, June 21, 2013

Top 13


Hello fambam, it's been so long...did ya miss me?

I'm happy to finally write you guys again!

Since I've been here, I have learned so much. I mean, sooo much. So today, I
want to share with you all the top 13 things I have learned here. Because
13 is my favorite number. And because I have been on my mission close to 13 weeks. So here's the top thirteen things I've learned about myself, Costa Rica, and just life!

1. I have the best slash craziest (I cant find the slash button)
investigators in all of Costa Rica!

*One of them has a parrot that likes to repeat everything we say during our
lessons. *Everything*.

*When we asked one to read a verse of the Book of Mormon during a lesson he
gladly did. And then PERSISTED in reading the rest of the chapter. Haha at
least he liked it.

*One wants to get baptized and go on a mission someday herself.

*One is a tatoo artist.

*When we showed a picture of Jesus to one of our investigators, she couldn't
stop saying how handsome he was. Her husband didn't like that.

*One family showed us all 50 albums of their family pictures.

*One quit smoking after 25 years. Yeauuhh!

*They ask us questions like, "What do you guys believe about people who have
committed suicide?" And, " Is it a sin to feed fish to our snake?" And,
"Can you teach me English? And "I can see dead people, can you help me?"

Ummmmm...

Luckily for them and for us the gospel has the power to answer every single
one of lifes questions! It has the power to heal, to give hope, And real
happiness.

2. Even though I swore I never would, I love Spanish music. It all sounds
like Zumba music and makes me think of my Mom and smile when I hear it. So
Mom, here are 3 of my favorites that I hear everywhere. Listen to them!

Limbo by Daddy Yankee
Corre by Jesse Y Joy
Llorar by Jesse Y Joy

3. I just say weird things now. Like, "Aww shoes." I dont know why. Maybe
cause I am a missionary. Maybe because I am in another country. Maybe it's
the heat. All I know is that now that my brain is making room for Spanish,
it is slowly pushing out all the English! And normal words and sayings.

4. I also learned the difference between "yo tengo hombre" and "yo tengo
hambre". One means I am hungry and one means I have a man. When used in the
wrong context, especially as a missionary, you can make people laugh really
hard. Yep, I also learned I am a comedian without even trying. I repeat...I
am not trying.

5. I learned that the pamphlets we give out investigators serve for MANY purposes:

Reading the law of chastity one to couples to avoid making awkward spanish
mistakes.
Cutting out the pictures to decorate your apartment.
Using them to scoop out bugs and insects from your bed.
And last but not least, they make the best self fanners

The church sure knew what they are doing when the made those things! :)

6. I am so much more grateful for things we take for granted in America. I
will FOREVER be grateful for washing machines and dryers. I MISS YOU GUYS!
Get ready for my clothes in 15 months ok? Just think about me hand washing
my clothes the next time you push the button on those wonderful machines.

7. Here it is either too hot or too cold. Our church building got air
conditioning! Which is awesome right? No. Because they get so excited that
they set it to 50 degrees. Yes, 50 degrees. By the end of sacrament I was
freezing my little missionary self off because I was wet from sweating on
the walk to church. Hopefully we can find a happy temperature that works
for everyone soon :)

8. People here are obsessed with soccer. And when the big game is on, you will
be the luckiest missionary in all of Costa Rica if you get anyone to take
their eyes off the television for more than 5 minutes to listen to you.
GOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAALLLLLLLL!!! No, Jeeeesssuuusssss!!!

9. When you are showering and look up to see a gecko on the wall next to
you, it's perfectly fine. So is having to kill a tarantula in your
apartment. And a month the size of a Book of Mormon. No I take it back, the
BIBLE! And then there's the ants the size of my toe. Alllllll the norm here.

10. The San Jose temple is my favorite place in the whole world. It is beautiful
and peaceful and clean and perfect. We had the opportunity to go this week
and it was wonderful. And guess what? The church is true!

11. Everything here is so gosh dang expensive. I had no idea. Get ready for
this Dad, a big bottle of shampoo is just over 20 bucks. Sayyy whaaaat. But
don't worry because my companion and I made our own shampoo stuff out of
this plant called tuna.

12. I bought a new yellow skirt for 3 dollars at a used clothing store in
 San Jose. Yay for bargain shoppin. Alright, so not everything costs as
much as the shampoo does!

13. I love being a missionary. Yeah it's hard and sweaty. But it is also
wonderful and amazing. I am learning new things every day and the Lord is
shaping me into the person He wants me to be.  I have just 18 mo. to give 
to the Lord and learn all that I can. And then I have the rest of my life
to remember it. So I better make it worth remembering right?

Thanks for all your love support and prayers.

Until next Monday,
Hermana Starke




Costa Rica has the most beautiful sunsets I have ever seen
Would you look at the size of THAT MOTH... It's on Steriods
My Favorite Fruit......You tear it open and....
Drink/eat this green stuff inside....Mmmmm good
My very healthy breakfast
Killing a terantula...luckily he's not on steriods
I killed the Terantula
At our Presidents House
Love getting to see MTC friends and companions
Waiting  by the temple for the bookstore to open
San Jose Temple
It rains like nothing I have ever seen before.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is just awesome! I'm impressed particularly with the yo tengo hombre. I think you should use that more often. But it's very cool to see you in action, so to speak. Be safe!

Ross

Anonymous said...

Habitat
Tarantulas are terrestrial or arboreal, depending on the species. They take shelter under loose tree bark or in epiphytes, in ground burrows or nests made of leaves and lined with silk.

Range
Tarantulas are common throughout Central and South America. In Costa Rica, different species become fewer and infrequent as elevation increases.

National Parks
Monteverde Cloud Forest Reserve and Santa Elena Reserve.

Physical Description
The spiders known as tarantulas are famous for being large, hairy, and poisonous, but they should not cause fear. Despite having an intimidating appearance, the tarantula is quite a fragile creature and steps delicately around the forest floor habitat. It uses its front legs like antennae to feel around in front of its body, which gives the spider a stronger sense of its surroundings than the spider’s eight small eyes provide.

Biology and Natural History
Legends and fables have long presented the tarantula as a dangerous predator, but this spider is a timid animal that is much more apt to retreat into a hole than to attack. It is common in Costa Rica but not necessarily commonly seen. It is nocturnal, usually emerging at dusk or later to mate and hunt. This primitive species of spider does not spin a web, but does dig a burrow, and never strays terribly far from home. Some live for 5 to 10 years in the wild.

All tarantulas, like all spiders, have poison, but tarantulas are relatively shy creatures and are very unlikely to bite. Most tarantulas need venom to stun their prey and defend themselves, and their bodies do not replenish venom quickly. Hence they are hesitant to waste venom unless they are threatened and cannot escape. If a tarantula feels cornered and scared, it will first use its backmost legs to flick thick urticating hairs off the back of its abdomen. These hairs sting, especially if they come in contact with the eyes or mouth. Another warning sign that a tarantula is becoming aggressive is when it rears up onto its back legs, sometimes adding an angry hiss. The spider’s fangs are underneath its head and the spider must come down on top of what it will bite. While the venom of a tarantula is not fatal, the bite can still be painful. It’s better to just admire one where it stands.