Monday, August 12, 2013

Surprises all around


Hi guys!

It's been a great week. But it's always a great week as a missionary! At
least I think so.

This week was filled with many fun surprises too.

Pedicures
Tuna spaghetti
A new companion
And a temple trip!

Wednesday Hermana Anderson and I spent the day working hard and saying our
goodbyes because we knew changes could happen the following day.

When we said goodbye to our favorite people, Ingrid and her family, there
was lots of tears and hugs. These people mean so much to me here and when
we leave, we never know if we will ever see them again. They didn't have
much to give, but they painted our toe nails :) which was just perfect.

That night we got a phone call at 10pm saying that Hermana Anderson was
going to Limón at 6am the next day.

Obviously we spent the entire night crying and packing. Best friends
forevs.

And now, introducing my new companion: Hermana Ochoa. She is sweet and
spiritual and shy and guess what?

SHE DOESNT SPEAK ENGLISH.

We are having a fun time trying to communicate. I am super grateful for the
opportunity to learn more Spanish!

The first day together was awesome. It was also lonely and awkward and
hard. I know Orotina so it's my responsibilty to decided what we are going
to do and how we are going to do it. I know the people and I know the area.
But guess what, I dont know Spanish well enough. And I don't have Hermana Anderson to
help me anymore.

Feeling overwhelmed and so so alone I went in the bathroom and just started
to cry. It was a dark, tiny, little room in the house of a member but it
was the perfect place I needed to just offer a prayer of hope and help.

But the best thing about being a missionary is just when I feel like I can't
do this anymore, the Lord pours out His tender mercies upon me and I find
the strength to continue.

"But behold, I, Nephi, will show unto you that the tender mercies of the
Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to
make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance." (1 Nephi 1:20)

Later that day we helped an investigator feel peace through prayer and
watched her cry to us as she told us she wants to change her life.

One of our investigators accepted a baptism date!

I heard a song from the movie, "The Parent Trap", which was always mine and
Meg's favorite movie. We would watch it over and over again when we were
little in our bunk bed with blankets around the edges to make it feel like
a little movie theatre. My eyes began to water and I just felt comforted.
So comforted. And so happy.

Then on Saturday I had the amazing opportunity to attend the temple for the
sealing of Marcos, Raquel and their son, Jose. This family means so much to
me and it was a very special day. I felt more peace than I have ever felt
in my life and I am just so happy that their family has the opportunity to
be together forever.

Tendier mercies galore, right?!

On Sunday I taught the gospel principles class. It was on the life of Jesus
Christ, and I decided to focus on His atonement.

Shout out to my wonderful parents because thanks to them I used my gospel
picture book (thanks Dad) and then I passed out a jolley rancher to
everyone one (thanks Mom) :))

I told everyone to hold the jolley rancher in their hand and that it
represented the Atonement. Every single one of us has recieved a "jolley
rancher". It's a gift. It has already been bought and paid for. It has
already been made and packaged, just for us.

All that's left is our decision to eat it. To use the atonement, to recieve
it's blessings, and to enjoy it's blessings.

There are some who have not tasted the goodness of the gospel. There are
some who use it every day in their lives.

Trust me, life is MUCH better with jolley ranchers!

I know that The Atonement of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ is real. He
really did die and atone for us and He is the only reason I am able to do
this every day. And it isn't just for sins. It's for *everything*.

I want so badly for the members in my branch to utilize the atonement, and
forgive others. To use the atonement to come back to the church and
participate in the blessings of the gospel.

David A. Bednar said, "One of the greatest indicators of our own spiritual
maturity is revealed in how we respond to the weaknesses, the inexperience,
and the potentially offensive actions of others. A thing, an event, or an
expression may be offensive, but you and I can choose not to be
offended—and to say with Pahoran, “it mattereth not.” (Alma 61)"

So to those having a bad day, recognize the tender mercies in your life.
Use the Atonement, and enjoy life. Choose not to be offended. Because in
the end, "it mattereth not"!

Love you all muuuccchhhooooo,

Hermana Starke

P.s. Sammy's email was my favorite this week.  I love you bud!












The Fruit Stand

Look everybody there was a fair here the same week as the Lincoln county fair in Wyoming

Ana and the Butterfly

Saying our Goodbyes



Temple Day



No comments: