Wednesday, August 21, 2013

True to You


Hi everyone!

Sadly, I don't have much time this week because I am in San Jose and have to
make my bus soon. My compy comp had a dentist appointment. But I had an
awesome week!

On Tuesday we had a huge meeting in San Jose with all the sisters in the
entire mission. I counted around 90! It was one big sister party full of
workshops, yoga, and a chocolate fountain. It was pretty much close to heaven,
if you ask me.



I loved it so much and had so much fun seeing everyone. We also got to hear
from President and his wife. He brought his daughter up and asked her if
she knew why her name was Mary. He then went on to explain her name was
Mary because it was the name of the Savior's mother.

He told us not to be women pleasing to the world, but women pleasing to
the Lord. We all left having an increased desire to be stronger women
of faith!

This week I had the opportunity to get to know my new companion a little
better and I just have to say that I absolutely love her with all my heart.
She is so kind a patient with me with the fact I am still learning how to
speak Spanish. She is such a great missionary and teaches so powerfully. I
have already learned so much from her. She is so happy and optimistic about
the hard hearted people we have here in Orotina, members and investigators.
And I feel so blessed to be with her.

For example, yesterday the elders had a baptism after church. As we were
filling up the font, the water shut off. It does that often, randomly here
in CR. With only about 6 inches of water in the font, we started praying
and racking our brains for ideas. We ran to the kitchen and found some left
over water in the sacrament cups. I started pouring them into the font,
hoping that just maybe it would make a difference.

It didn't. Haha but we had a good laugh and we figured things out eventually. They
always do.

But I have learned a magical lesson here as a missionary, there will ALWAYS
be things that go wrong. Always be problems. Always be worries. That is
life, and the reason we are here. But as a missionary I have had to learn
to adapt and make it work and just be happy. And that is a lesson I wish
everyone could learn. I am grateful for the trials I have had here so far
because it is through our trials we become closer to our Savior. We
understand a little, tiny bit more what it was like for Him.

Mom..........you are not going to believe this. Guess what I had for dinner
last night?? Go on, just guess.

COW TOUNGE!


And it wasn't even as bad as I thought it would be. Oh my goodness, CR has
changed me. I even find myself craving rice sometimes. I think I am turning
into a tica!

Also, Thursday was Mother's Day here in CR! So mama, HAPPY MOTHERS DAY!
Again :) I thought about you all day and how much I love ya. We also had a
big fun lunch with all the women and young women in the branch, it was
awesome.

Saturday was (drum roll please) the wedding of Oscar and Zillah! Zillah is
a less active we have been working with and Oscar is her husband who wants
to get baptized. So what did we do, we threw them a wedding! And I'm looking
forward to his baptism soon as well. I was the photographer, so I will be
sending lots and lots of photos. Enjoy! My favorite part was the cake and
all the many blessings I know they are going to recieve for their decision
to get married.
This week I have found so much comfort in the lyrics to a song called, True
to you.

"Something deep inside you wonders if you'll ever be enough
You fall and you fail as you try to measure up
It hurts more than you show
But you have to know,

You're never alone

He is there, always in your heart.
Even when you wonder if He knows who you are
He believes you will make it through
And He knows all the things your gonna do

No matter what youre going through,
He will remain true to you"

(CLICK LINK TO LISTEN TO SONG)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CO9GLojMr1c

My family is far from me, I am speaking a new language, I watch people
reject the gospel every day. But I know that no matter what, after everyone
has let me down, the Savior is still there for me. He will always remain
true to me. His promises and His power is real. And in return, I will serve
Him faithfully to the end.

I have learned so much this week. Every day I continue to learn so much
about myself, the gospel, missionary work and life. It really has been such
a blessing to be able to be here and experience it all.

Although, I am a little concerned with the members of the branch here. Each
week things seem to be getting worse despite our efforts. Our attendance
was 43 this Sunday and there is a lot of contention and gossip between the
leaders of this branch, along with the members and families. We even saw a
fist fight break out after church. But this week we are going to continue
visiting members and doing all that we can to strengthen them and inviting
them to come unto Christ. Because that is the only thing we can do! And
just hope and pray they will listen.

Amongst all the things that are going wrong, I am still trying my best, and
that feels right. It feels like enough. I still feel happy and optimisic
that this is where the Lord wants me. At the end of the day I am so
grateful for the opportunity I have to be here.

I LOVE YOU ALL,
Hermana Starke



Me and My Companion Hermana Ochoa

Oscar and Zillah "Tie the Knot" Happy Wedding Day!








The Elders Baptism


No comments: