Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Dreamin'




Hello all!

Okay Dad, are you ready for this.......

I HAD A DREAM IN SPANISH!

Dad has been asking me just about every other week if I have dreamt in
Spanish yet. And so now, I am so happy to finally announce that I have.
Apparently that's when you REALLY know Spanish. Hope you're proud Dad :)

I also have been noticing how there are many instances in the Book of
Mormon where relvelation is recieved in Dreams. We can recieve answers and
wisdom and all that good stuff.

Well I dreamed about eating some weird soup and trying so hard enjoy it
while expressing my gratitude in Spanish. I then went running next to a
horse in a pretty green field. We had a nice little chat in Spanish. Yeah,
that's right I was talking to a horse...

So hmm not sure what that means, but hey! I finally dreamt in Spanish.

A few weeks ago I started over in the Book of Mormon. With a fresh, brand
new book. I decided to mark it all up and look specifically for instances
in the scriptures when it talks about the Holy Ghost, because along with
dreams, we can recieve lots of answers, wisdom and good stuff through the
Spirit.

As missionaries we are taught and told repeatedly that we cannot do
anything or teach anyone without the Holy Ghost. And it's is so true, he is
the real teacher.

So as I have been reading the Book of Mormon with this purpose I have
learned so much! It's been incredible.

With my wonderful latina companion, I have found that there are lots and
lots of quiet moments, due to the language barrier. At first I hated all
the awkward silence and found myself racking my brain trying to come up
with things to talk about in Spanish. But I have come to learn and love and
enjoy these peaceful, quiet moments.

I have so much time to think and reflect and really feel the influence of
the Spirit in my life. I have recieved answers and comfort and peace.

When we cut out the loud noises, distractions, and business of the day,
that's when we can really be close to our Father in Heaven. We can feel the
companionship of Spirit more fully in our lives.

As a missionary I don't have school and studies to worry about. I don't have
a cell phone to answer or tasks to accomplish on the computer. I don't have
work or the radio. Yes, these are all things that I miss. But not having
them here has allowed me to learn and be uplifted through the Spirit so
much more than I ever could have imagined.

So to any of you reading this, if feeling the Spirit in your life is
something you are lacking, or something you desire to improve, take time to
think and refelct. Take more time for prayer. Have quiet, personal
scripture study. I promise it works :)


Me and my beautiful companion Hermana Ochoa
We have been teaching my favorite little buddy, Jesus, this week. He is 8
years old and getting ready for baptism! When he sees us walking down the
street to his house he drops what hes doing and runs as fast as he can to
greet us with hugs. It makes my heart melt. He feels so special that we
come just to teach him.

He's a not the fastest learner...so we spent a whole lesson asking him the
same 5 questions. He had such a hard time with the last one though...

"Jesus, what do we get after we are baptized"?

"The gift of God!"

"No..."

"The gift of Jesus... ME"!

"No Jesus!"

"The gift of... sins?"

"NO Jesus. The gift of the Holy Ghost!"

"Ahhhh ya ya ya ya ya Hermana, I KNOW!"

Haha it's so hilarious. I love the kid. We also start and end every lesson
with his favorite hymn, "Jesus es mi luz" (The Lord is my light). Teaching
him was probably the highlight of my week.



Jesus

I have also felt words just come to me as I testify. I find myself knowing
the needs of my investigators even though I can't fully understand their
words. The gift of the Holy Ghost is a real, true thing, and it has been
amazing to be able to recognize and use His help as I do the work of the
Lord.

"And blessed are they who shall seek to bring forth my Zion at that day,
for they shall have the gift and the power of the Holy Ghost; and if they
endure unto the end they shall be lifted up at the last day, and shall be saved in the everlasting kingdom of the Lamb;and whoso shall publish peace, yea tidings of great joy, how beautiful upon the mountains shall they be. (1Ne. 13:37)

Love you all and hope you have a fabulous week,
Hermana Starke :))

This is Genesis 


Costa Rica's Independence Day is September 15-raising of the flag ceremony



No comments: