Monday, August 26, 2013

Bananas


Hey fam!

It's been a good week! They really are starting to go by faster and
faster...it's crazy. I think it's because my Spanish is getting better and
better. In fact, writing this email is the most English I have
spoken/written since last Monday! Hopefully you can all still understand
me, because I am at the point where I feel like I can barely speak either
languages!

Things are so much different now that I have a latina companion, but it's
great and I love it. It is forcing me to learn Spanish, which is such a
blessing.

I am with her every second of the day, and I have gotten to know her pretty
well. And I want you guys to get to know her too, so here is a little bit
about my comp Hermana Ochoa :)

She's from Bella Cruz, Mexico
Her family owns a bread shop
She is 21 years old
Her favorite food is bananas. I mean she LOVES these things. We buy about
25 every week and she can easily eat them all in a few days. Haha it's
awesome
She knows how to say "whats up" and "talk to me" in English
And I am teaching her how to sing "I am a child of God"
She is the sweetest, nicest companion a girl could ask for
We both love to stop at every single pulparia (kind of like a 7-11) and buy
snacks between all our lessons
But don't worry, we don't waste any time, this week we had 7 lessons in one
day! Giving us 27 this week. Almost 30...which is the mission goal.

Speaking of goals, for the month of September, our mission goal is to have
200 baptisms in the country of Costa Rica! A member of the 70 told
President it was impossible. But he doesn't think so, and neither do we! It's
gonna happen. I just know it. So everyone reading this, send your prayers
this way please!

So there is this one pulparia in particular owned by Chinos (Chinese) that is on the
way to a family we visit pretty often, so obviously WE visit it pretty
often. I was asking the worker if they had the certain kind of snack I
wanted and I said it 3 times in the clearest Spanish I could. After that he
just laughs and says.....I don aspeak Engrish.

So I said, "well I don't speak Chino!" (Chinese) 

But actually, sometimes NOT knowing Spanish perfectly can kind of work to
our advantage. For example, we went to visit a less active member and I
asked if we could come in. I didn't understand his response fully so I just
walked through the gate, sit down, and we had a great lesson!

Afterwards my companion told me he had actually told us we couldn't come in!
Haha oooops. See what I mean? It kind of works out great!

This week in my personal study I read D&C 6 which says:

29 Verily, verily, I say unto you, if they reject my words, and this part
of my gospel and ministry, blessed are ye, for they can do no more unto you
than unto me.

 30 And even if they do unto you even as they have done unto me, blessed
are ye, for you shall dwell with me in glory.

 31 But if they reject not my words, which shall be established by the
testimony which shall be given, blessed are they, and then shall ye have
joy in the fruit of your labors.

I just love that, because during my time here, I have seen so much
rejection. But the Lord gives such a special promise of hope here and I
know my efforts are not wasted.

And in verse 31 it talks about those who dont reject, but *accept* the
gospel. So now I want to tell you about Genesis!

Genesis is our 21 year old investigator, and I love her with all my heart.
I feel like for the first time here, I have finally found someone prepared
by The Lord that has been waiting for me. During our first lesson with her
she was in tears because she wanted to change her life. She has been doing
all the "homework" that we give her and she has been reading from the Book
of Mormom and praying!

She told us how before she always thought the idea of praying was so weird
when they cross their arms around their chest and head while saying the
same thing over and over, but she loves the way we pray! And she told us
she knows someone is listening. It's a real communication. Not just a prayer
to give thanks, but to really talk to our Father in Heaven. And after she
prays she has this weird, but good feeling. We told her that it was the
Spirit, and then she told us she knew our message was true.

She used to have a drug addiction and thinks the Word of Wisdom is a great
idea! When we asked her if she would live it, she happily accepted. It is
going to be difficult but she knows it's best. We told her how her body is a
temple and how special it is.

Then on Sunday for church, she came in wearing a long modest dress and I
almost started to cry. It's such a simple thing but I have never seen this
girl wearing so much clothes! I guess I was just so emotional because the
message of the gospel truly has the power to change people. And not only
that, but help others recognize their self worth and who the really are in
the eyes of God. We never told her she needs to dress modestly, she just
did it all on her own, and that is what a true conversion to the gospel
looks like.

I miss you all soo very much, and am so grateful for your letters and
prayers!

Until next Mon,

Hermana Starke :)








No comments: