Monday, October 28, 2013

Instruments of the Lord


Dear all,

Another week come and gone, it's LOCO!

Time is such a crazy thing. In the book of Abraham we learn that 1 day in
heaven equals 1,000 years on earth. So you know what that means...my
mission is only 2 minutes and 9 seconds!!! What the craziness?!! SO much to
do in so little time.

And it really is true, this work we are doing is so important and so
urgent. It is the work of Salvation. I hope that I can be a useful
instrument in the hands of the Lord during my whole 2 mintues and 9 seconds
here in Costa Rica.

So what is an instrument? They come in all colors, types, shapes, and
sizes. They have different names and make different sounds. But one thing
they all have in common is that they are useless without someone to play
them, tune them, and use them.

So what are we? We are these instruments....all nations, colors, sizes and
languages. And we are absolutely nothing without God.

And what is our purpose here on earth? To learn to be humble and accept the
help of the Lord.

Only when we give our lives fully to Him, can He then make of us what we
are intended to be. He can tune us through trials and hardships, and when
we are placed in His hands he can perform beautiful music and miracles in
our lives. The more dependent we are on the Lord, the better the music will
be. And if we live our lives in accordance with His will, we are promised
a life full of blessings and joy.

"Nevertheless, after much tribulation, the Lord did hear my cries, and did
answer my prayers, and has made me an instrument in his hands in bringing
so many of you to a knowledge of his truth." (Mosiah 23:10)

I read this verse this morning and I just loved it because it is exactly
what has happened to me here on my mission. Here Alma is refelecting on his
much tribulations he experienced as a priest under King Noah. Then with his
courage and testimony, he escaped and taught faith and repentance to all
those who would listen. He then baptized 204 souls!

My first area has been filled with much difficulty and "tribulation" as
Alma puts it. And I know, just as Alma did, that the Lord has heard my
cries as I pray to him on my knees.

But here comes the best part, this week I have truly seen how the Lord has
used me as an instrument in His hands to do His work and bring others to a
knowledge of the truth.

Saturday was a rough day. They were doing a ton of construction near our
apartment so it was loud and obnoxious to study. We called to confirm our 7
appointments and every single one fell through, along with the 7 people we
had as a back up plan. So we go to lunch and our cook made a meal that
neither of us were thrilled to eat. So as we leave the house it begins to
rain. Oh but don't be fooled, this rain is like you can't even imagine.
Pounding and loud and instantly turning the streets into rivers. We drag
our feet through the water and desperately try to hold up our umbrellas
against the heavy down pour.

So we look at each other, I force a smile, and we get to work. We walked
and walked, and did our best to find people to teach. But since it was
raining, most were sleeping. Story of my life!

So after 4 long hours of straight nothing, I decide it's time to get ice
cream and take a break. I just wanted to sleep like the rest of the Ticos
at this point. I mean what was the point anyway? No one wanted to listen
to us. So we ate our ice cream in silence, listening to the pouring rain
wondering if it would ever stop.

I looked around and realized that I had contacted every single one of the
homes near by, twice. I have been here for 6 months you know.

I felt like giving up. So I decided to pray. Nothing came to me.

So we finished our ice cream and decided to go to a less active lady that
lived near by. While we were walking to her house I got the smallest, but
clearest impression to stop and visit this bright yellow house I have seen
about a dozen times a little ways off the pathway. But have never visited
it. So I stop and Hermana Ochoa stops. She looks at me, then I nod with my
head to the little yellow house.

She follows me and we approach a happy yellow house with a happy family
singing and dancing. Without even introducing oursleves, they gladly open
the gate and let us in. We have the most powerful first lesson ever. These
people were prepared. They ate it all up and had so many questions. They
wanted to come to church and anxiously accepted our invitation to read the
book of mormon. They are the family of gold I have been searching for my
entire mission.

We left with grateful hearts. And I know that the Lord truly heard my
cries. And only through Him and His merciful help, we were able to deliver
the message of truth to this amazing family. It was an experience I will
never, ever forget.

So along with the rain, the miracles began to pour out on us and on Sunday
we had 5 investigators come to church. There were 3 less active families we
have been working with, and we have 2 baptisms planned for this next week.
I know that if we faithfully serve the Lord, He will use us to do good!
Because this is His work, and we are just instruments.

Hermana Starke



TACO BELL



A VERY BIG DEAD CATERPILLAR



This is Jeni and her Family

Jeni







No comments: