Wednesday, December 25, 2013

More Christ


Dear all,

Happy Christmas Eve! Since we have been in and out of the hospital, today
is when we got time to write home. And Wednesday night we will SKYPE!

This week has been rough. Little work, and lots of rest for my companion.
But she is still going strong with lots of memorized scriptures, medicine,
and prayers.

This Monday, for P day, we had the mission Christmas activity. We all met
up in San Jose and had a giant, happy reunion. We then walked to a home for
the elderly and sang Christmas songs to them while learning to love and see
them as children of God.

My personal favorite was Maria. (I know, whose name ISN'T Maria down here?)
She is a mother to 7 children and a has a life time of stories. Did I
understand her mumbly old people spanish? Nope. But she was a sweetheart
with the sweetest spirit and when I asked her how old she was, she said she
couldn't remember...ha!

We had a delicious lunch and then a devotional with all the missionaries
together and President. He told us the best gift we have given to Christ
this year is the most baptisms this mission has seen in 20 years, 1,500. He
also has a goal to have 2,300 baptisms in the coming year. This guys got a
LOT of faith!

We also celebrated the cumpleaƱos of Jospeh Smith, December 23. And gave a
little added thanks to the prophet who made all of what I am doing
possible. His one prayer answered, changed the world!

It's been an interesting experience living the Christmas season in a
different country, in another culture, and without my family. But the
people here are my family and I have learned to love them more than words
can express. My companion really is my hermanita. And I love her like a
sister. I'm so blessed. And while I miss my family, I'm grateful for what I
do have here and for all I have learned and experienced in the mission. It's
going to be a Christmas I will forever cherish. Lots of tamales, warm
weather, and lights strung around palm trees. With my personal
favorite.....all the many renditions of the classic song, "FELIZ NAVIDAD!"

So in Spanish, the word "mas" means more. So the word Christmas has a whole
new meaning for me now.....More Christ

And I love it because it really is, as they say, the true meaning of
Christmas.

Another interesting thing I have realized is that Jesus was not born in
December. So why do we celebrate His birth during this time of year? Better
yet, we should celebrate His beloved life! Along with His powerful
atonement, His death, and His glorious ressurection. Because thanks to His
life, we have hope. We have happiness. And that's what Christmas really
means to me. Because He lived, I will live as a witness of Him. And forever
remember what He did for me.

When I think that times are hard or sad or bad, I find power beyond my own
means to do what I do everyday because I believe in Christ. And He believes
in me. I know He lives and stands ever ready to take my hand. When I miss
my family I remember that because of Christ my family is forever. I feel
grateful and privileged to wear His name next to mine as I do His work!

I wish you all the merriest of Christmases, and invite you to have more
Christ in your life. TALK TO YOU TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

XO,
Hermana Starke

No comments: