Thursday, December 5, 2013

Red & Green


Hi fam,

Wow, so much happy and sad news this week. But that's how life goes right?

Even though I don't have my family and it's still super hot, it feels like
Christmas! Actually, it's felt like Christmas time for the past month and a
half because everyone starts decorating for christmas here in OCTOBER.
Yeah, I thought it was a little early too. But hey! 'Tis the season to be
jolly.

I see red and green everywhere. So that's when I came up with the red and
green analogy... go with me on this one. Life is full of red moments. And
life is full of green moments. Happy and sad. Good and bad. So today I want
to tell you all about the red and green moments I have experienced here in
Costa Rica during the past week.

Rojo (the red, not so great moments)

Juegos de hambre. Yeah, the hunger games movie. Everyone is talking about
it. Everyone is seeing it. Except me. Wahhh. It's fine, one day I will see
it! With popcorn, junior mints, diet pepsi, and my mom.

Freaking gallinas. I remember in the old days when I would use an alarm
clock to get me out of bed. Now a days I just listen for the 10 screeeeching
roosters outside my window at 5 am. Every... single... day....

Estoy gordando. Eeek! So all the members here are really great. And by
really great I mean they love to offer me plates and plates of food. Bye
skinny hermana starke......

Tengo frio. At night I sleep in sweat pants, a sweat shirt and 3 blankets.
I never knew a place so hot could get sooo cold!

My loved ones back home....Sandy, Troy, and Court. I love you guys so much.
Praying for you every day. I am so sorry for your losses but know that
families are forever. Xoxoxo

Verde (the green, greatest moments of all!)

GG and JJ engaged... CONGRATS!!!!!! Love you guys. Wish you the best and
happiest life together. You better drag around a life sized photo of me all
during your wedding and put me in all the pictures! Hahaha no im kidding,
please dont.

Noche de hogar. For family home evening this week we had a scripture chase/
jeopardy game with members and recent converts. My comp and I sooo won! By
like 50 points. It was awesome. We do fun things here.

Referencias on fia! We got 24 referals last week. Holllllaaaa.

OCHO MESES. Tomorrow is my 8th month anniversary of being a missionary.
Pretty loco, right? I have offically survived 8 months as Hermana Starke.
Id like to thank my family, companions, and the big man upstairs. Couldnt
do it without yall.

Yay for amigos. So friday night I see a car of gringos madly waving at me.
I ignore it. But then the car stops. 3 guys get out of the car. Im a little
worried, so my comp and i turn the other direction and start to make a run
for it. But wait...its BRAD AND CURTIS MILLS. Sayyy what?! They were just
driving around the streets of Cost Rica and just happened to find me. What
are the chances? It was a fun surprise to see them and made me remember
that life really does exist outside of my missionary bubble. Oh and then
they gave me about 4 dollars in change, ha thanks guys!

Jessica. We taught a lady named Jessica this week. Her husband is a member,
but she is not... yet. And she lives in the highest house of the tallest
mountain in all of Ciudad Colon. It took us hours to get there but the
sight, sunset, and lesson made it all worth it. Purple and orange Costa
Rican sunsets truly are the best. Words cant even describe how beautiful
this country is.

Cindy. Just like jessica, her husband is a member. And she is not...yet. My
first Sunday was her first Sunday to church and since then she has come
every single week with her husband and cute daughter. But this week she
came to church in a skirt and it made me smile because she is making huge
changes in her life! Since the day I met her I felt so strongly like I am
the missionary that was called to find and teach her. Hoping and praying
she will make it to the waters of baptism soon!

Lucrecia. Her husband is a return missionary! And yep, once again, shes not
a member...yet. This week we had a powerful lesson that brought us all to
tears. The spirit was crazy strong and she is praying to know if she should
be baptized Dec 14. I think, yes!

My mission, as well as my life in general, has been filled with happy and
hard moments. But I love it all and am so grateful for every single day.

Hermana Starke







No comments: