Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Never let your prayin' knees get lazy


Dear all,

Cumpleanos feliz, deseamos a ti, cumpleanos a FABIO, cumpleanos feliz!!!
Hope you have a fablous week in Hawaii. I am jealous, but then I remember
that I am in Costa Rica, so it's all good :)

Well, I thought last Sunday was Easter. Turns out it wasn't, so that's
embarrassing. But it's not my fault. How was I supposed to know that all the
fiestas last week were just part of the PRE WEEK partying?! I don't have
news, facebook, or internet to notify me. But, this week was the real deal
Semana Santa, and it's just so funny because everyone decided to be
Catholic. That's what happens during this time of year. Por favor. The front
of almost every front yard was decorted with a cross draped in purple
material, Jesus statues, and bibles. Curious, I used it as a way to start
taking to people and find out what it all meant. But not a single person
could answer me or knew why they were doing the things they were doing.
Hmmm. They do everything here out of TRADITION and not CONVICTION.

That's why I love being a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day
Saints because you can ask ANY sunbeam (note: a sunbeam is the 3-4 year old class) 
 and they will happily tell you what
we believe. They know the book of Mormon stories. They know faith is like a
little seed...if planted it will grow. They know the 13 articles of faith. 
And most importantly, they know they are children of our Heavenly Father. Something that the majority
of people do not understand or comprehend.

So that's where we come in! And that's why this work is so important. This
week has been a little crazy getting used to a new area, new companion, and
new people. But I love it. We live approximately 30 seconds walking
distance from the temple and I see it every single day! It's there shining
brightly when I wake up, and it sits there peacefully when I fall asleep.
It's so amazing and we are just close it's unreal. Our church building is
pink and beautiful and sits right behind it. I am sooo blessed.

The members? Already love them. We share a house with the stake President
and his wife. The bishop spent the whole day with us visitng investigators
and less actives on Sunday. Two sister missionaries got taken out this
change, leaving just us here in Belen. My rock star of a companion, Hermana
Ponce, and I are so excited. It's sad and hard because we have a lot of work
to do and an area to open, but a blessing in disguise because the members
know they need to step it up!

Belen is super city like and I am going to miss seeing so much green but I
have the coolest feeling when I walk through the streets. Even though I
know it's the first time I am seeing everything, it all feels so familiar.
Like I have seen it before. I feel comfortable, and this city is all
strangely familiar. The feeling, the sounds, the houses and the people.
Like I have been waiting to return. Like there are people here waiting for
me.

I had one of the most sipritual experiences of my mission this week. I will
do my best to write it out, but words aren't really sufficient.

After only one lesson, Andrea came to church. This week I was able to meet
her and we taught her for the second time. She had lots of doubts and
questions and didn't understand why everyone was talking about Joseph Smith.
She got defensive and was ready to tell us to leave. So we did, but not
first before a prayer. We closed the door, to shut out the noise. Got on
our knees, and Andrea offered the prayer. There was a long pause but then
she began the prayer asking to understand, for forgiveness, for help, and
for an answer. She prayed about Joseph Smith, about us, about the church,
about baptism. She must have prayed for what felt like 10 minutes. She knew
and understood she was talking with her Father. She begged to know the
truth. So sincerely and so specifically. Towards the end of the prayer she
began to weep. She ended the prayer and when I opened my eyes she had her
hands cupped over her face, crying uncontrollably. We kneeled in silence
until she spoke through tears...

"Do you really believe that God was listening?"

"Absolutely, Andrea."

"My heart and entire body feels warm. It's true. I know this is true!"

I have never taught and seen someone recieve and answer so clear and so
soon. The spirit was so strong. It was incredible. The gospel is true. I
know that it's true! And I ask everyone to pray and know for themselves. Moroni
10:5
Love,
Hermana Starke

No comments: